Shattered Heaven Act 2.1 Shattered Heaven Act 2.1

I can judge a story from a single installment...

...and I will. If a story is good, it shouldn't matter where you start. There are quite a few books that I had started reading beginning to finish because I started in the middle of the book and got hooked. You also cannot control your critics, nor should you attempt to. Stop making excuses and don't tell them how to critique your work.

Now for my critique. In all, this was about as interesting as a history textbook. The art is bland and cluttered, the character designs are unimaginative (learn to draw more hairstyles than Cousin-It-in-a-wind-tunnel), the pacing and timing is all off, and the dialogue and story are cliche and not really well-written. Writers are told to "show, not tell." This is all the more important in a visual medium such as film and animation. If a character has emotions, show it through their actions, their posture, their facial expressions, don't just have them announce it through dialogue. Dialogue - that's what all this was, wasn't it? You had a script of what everyone was going to say, but how much did you put into setting, and characters interacting in that setting? How much was put into what the characters were thinking, but didn't say? Their interactions in the environment you wrote them in?

And since this is the internet, I would like to stress that the tone of this review is not in an angry, hateful, or sarcastic tone.

nikedrummer33 responds:

You're entitled to your opinion. I don't ever compare my actual novel writing to any of my writing for the flash as I limit everything on the flash do to me still getting accustomed to it. Yes, I agree with you on the emotions and the interaction. I intend to go that extra mile with the next one. You can think it's cliche if you want, it doesn't matter to me. Not everyone is into this type of story and that's fine. I don't mind people critiquing as long as it's thought out and meaningful rather than "hey, this isn't good". So, no, I didn't find this as sarcastic or hateful.

I do this for fun and I don't expect everyone to like it. But I wanted to animate something relatively based on my novels. So, for having no training, and just jumping into this, I am content with how this one came out regardless of what people said. Considering with how the first episode came out, I am more than happy with the constant improvement. So needless to say I will apply everything you mentioned in terms of emotion with the next one.

Personally, I wait til the story is finished to judge one, because you can't possibly know what is going on, where it is going and what underlying symbolism is there from reading or watching one segment.

Either way I thank you for taking the time to write a review, and I wish you luck with your animations and the career you're pursuing.

AMIG0 AMIG0

Entertaining

Saying that this was too much like "Wall-E" is like saying that frozen yogurt is too much like ice cream.

TmsT responds:

Mmmmm... Ice cream....

1 - The Story of Khale 1 - The Story of Khale

The Story of Khale:

'Twas a bit chubby as a lad,
and thus he was teased quite bad,
they had called him 'Khale the Whale.'

Silliness aside, that was very good, graphically. It was lacking a story, though I assume that will be covered in the next episodes. I'll be looking forward to seeing how this develops.

LeafWorthy responds:

Hahaha, I like that. Thanks man.

the YuYu the YuYu

Coolest chase scene ever.

Yeah, it doesn't have alot in the story department. That doesn't stop it from being the best animated peice on Newgrounds.

Ha! I got reviwe #1000!

Bored Aliens Short 01 Bored Aliens Short 01

Koosh!

Nice toon, Ranoka! Can't wait for the next one. :)

Viridarium: Mudslides Viridarium: Mudslides

Good job, Tordek!

Very good work, I hope to see the next installments of your world if Viridarium. :)

It could have used more sound, though. It just seemed oddly quiet during the whole trip on the leaf (some kind of scraping noise would have worked perfectly), and some ambient forest-life sounds would have fit in at the beginning. There also could have been a nic e, big SPLAT! at the end when he hit the mud face first.

Edukator responds:

yah I know, there was a part where he flew into the mud and slid, but it was cut due to me wanting the music to fit more for the "dun dun" part after the joke. Anyway, I’ll keep in mind the scraping noise, I tried some forest noises but it took away form the music. Thanks for the Advice, and Thanks for the comments.

Las aventuras de Mr.Coo Las aventuras de Mr.Coo

Me gusta!

Me disculpo, yo no hablo mucho español.
Es muy bueno! Yo pongo en mi favoritas!

I hope to see more animations from you!

Green Brown Green Brown

It's a vicious cycle...

Looks cool, TFC! Good luck with the competition. :)
It'll be interesting to see where you take your talents in animation.

BTW, I've never seen a fighting game where you can drink virtual soda!

Spiderman Sketches Spiderman Sketches

You messed up on the rating.

You gave this a 0+ All Ages "This submission is appropriate for all audiences" advisory rating. Well, guess what. Nudity is not suitable for all ages. If you had given this the Mature Content advisory rating, I would not have watched this and would not have given this submission all zeros.

Prowlies at the River Prowlies at the River

Incredible - cinematic quality in a Flash movie!

I especially like the music you put into it. The Irish folk music you created fits the movie perfectly! I also found the graphics superb, and how you created this whole different world of Brakenwood. Everything seems alive and has it's own character! Good work, and I hope to see much more from the world of Brakenwood!