Shattered Heaven Act 2.1 Shattered Heaven Act 2.1

I can judge a story from a single installment...

...and I will. If a story is good, it shouldn't matter where you start. There are quite a few books that I had started reading beginning to finish because I started in the middle of the book and got hooked. You also cannot control your critics, nor should you attempt to. Stop making excuses and don't tell them how to critique your work.

Now for my critique. In all, this was about as interesting as a history textbook. The art is bland and cluttered, the character designs are unimaginative (learn to draw more hairstyles than Cousin-It-in-a-wind-tunnel), the pacing and timing is all off, and the dialogue and story are cliche and not really well-written. Writers are told to "show, not tell." This is all the more important in a visual medium such as film and animation. If a character has emotions, show it through their actions, their posture, their facial expressions, don't just have them announce it through dialogue. Dialogue - that's what all this was, wasn't it? You had a script of what everyone was going to say, but how much did you put into setting, and characters interacting in that setting? How much was put into what the characters were thinking, but didn't say? Their interactions in the environment you wrote them in?

And since this is the internet, I would like to stress that the tone of this review is not in an angry, hateful, or sarcastic tone.

nikedrummer33 responds:

You're entitled to your opinion. I don't ever compare my actual novel writing to any of my writing for the flash as I limit everything on the flash do to me still getting accustomed to it. Yes, I agree with you on the emotions and the interaction. I intend to go that extra mile with the next one. You can think it's cliche if you want, it doesn't matter to me. Not everyone is into this type of story and that's fine. I don't mind people critiquing as long as it's thought out and meaningful rather than "hey, this isn't good". So, no, I didn't find this as sarcastic or hateful.

I do this for fun and I don't expect everyone to like it. But I wanted to animate something relatively based on my novels. So, for having no training, and just jumping into this, I am content with how this one came out regardless of what people said. Considering with how the first episode came out, I am more than happy with the constant improvement. So needless to say I will apply everything you mentioned in terms of emotion with the next one.

Personally, I wait til the story is finished to judge one, because you can't possibly know what is going on, where it is going and what underlying symbolism is there from reading or watching one segment.

Either way I thank you for taking the time to write a review, and I wish you luck with your animations and the career you're pursuing.

AMIG0 AMIG0

Entertaining

Saying that this was too much like "Wall-E" is like saying that frozen yogurt is too much like ice cream.

TmsT responds:

Mmmmm... Ice cream....

1 - The Story of Khale 1 - The Story of Khale

The Story of Khale:

'Twas a bit chubby as a lad,
and thus he was teased quite bad,
they had called him 'Khale the Whale.'

Silliness aside, that was very good, graphically. It was lacking a story, though I assume that will be covered in the next episodes. I'll be looking forward to seeing how this develops.

LeafWorthy responds:

Hahaha, I like that. Thanks man.

Rumble ball field 1 Rumble ball field 1

Nice game!

It was fun, but a little short. I also kind of expected the ball's velocity to be affected by how close you clicked to it.

My score was 14,320.

GameBalance responds:

Thanks. I can get 18,000. Submit your score.

Sidescrolling Game Engine Sidescrolling Game Engine

Looks very promising. :)

This is an interesting little game you've got going on here. It definatly looks like an NES game, and plays just about like one, too. In fact, the concept of the game is just about crazy enough to be from Nintendo! (Jet Pack Ninja! Go!! :D)

The controls are a little confusing, and the Pause function and Spikeball Mode should be programmed to toggle on a single button instead of two differet ones. This can be done by setting true and false to variables like "pauseOn" within the onKeyPress scripts and using "if" statements to see if the variable is set to true or false.

The graphics leavealot to be desired, though. You're probably going for an 8-bit style, but it could look so much better in a 16-bit SNES or SEGA Genesis style.

In all, I hope to see the final verison of this!

TalosAT responds:

Thank you! ^^ hehehehe I changed graphics around temporarily to use Sprites for Zero from Megaman, fixed the spikeball mode onto one button and made pause menu be a button activated on screen- ^^; hehehehe i was having trouble using the mode you suggested- ive been working on it for awhile.. i had to put in a timer between or it would just transform a bunch of time when you tap the button.. ^^; any other suggestions? :)

Clock Up Clock Up

It's just a clock...

Probably the only reason it didn't get blammed was because of the Clock character. I have nothing against the "Clock Crew" or whatever, but I'm just being realistic. As noted before, the concept is nothing new at all...

"Negatron's response:
lets see you do this kthanks."

The scripting is not all that complex. Anyone with a knowledge of Flash programming and a little physics could do it within an hour or two.

Negatron responds:

lets see you do this kthanks.